Monday, September 13, 2010

Cheddar Bay Biscuit

Do yourself a favor and make these.

This time of year I rediscover my love of bread. Don't get me wrong I love bread all the time, just during the summer the thought of turning the oven on just doesn't seem as appealing. So while I was getting ready to grill some shrimp I couldn't get the thought of those lovely biscuits served by Red Lobster. Now, I don't want to brag, but I am a pretty good biscuit maker, I spent one winter finding and perfecting the perfect biscuit recipe. So I just had to figure out how to make them full of garlicky cheddary goodness. And folks, I did.

Cheddar Bay Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder - do yourself a favor and make sure it's fresh
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup butter, cold, yes straight from the fridge and no margarine!!
3/4 milk
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons parsley
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter for tops

Mix together your flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, parsley, and garlic salt. Cut in your butter. You need one of these:


It's OK if you don't have one, I'll wait, they have them at Alco.

OK, after your butter is thoroughly cut in the flour mixture, slowly add the milk and mix together. It's a bit of a process, just keep your eye on the prize. Now add the cheese. It was be a bit of a thick mess, add a little more milk if needed, but not too much! Now drop them onto a baking sheet. No rolling needed! I think I was able to get about 12 medium biscuits. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Take out of oven, brush with melted butter and try to save some for the rest of your family!!

Then brag to everyone you know, or even perfect strangers that you can make biscuits from scratch, no tubes or bisquick needed! I know I try and work it into as many conversations as possible :)

No comments:

Post a Comment