Sunday, March 6, 2011

Broccoli ~ No Cheese Required

I have been making broccoli this way for awhile and just haven't gotten around to sharing the recipe with you.  It is so easy, and so delicious!  Plus with the high prices of tropically grown vegetables right now broccoli being grown in colder climates has maintained it's reasonable price.  I about cried the other day paying for a green pepper.  Geez, global warming, really?

First wash and chop up your fresh broccoli.
Into a hot skillet that has been sprayed with a little olive oil.
Stir fry for a few minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons of water with a little salt to the skillet and quickly put a lid on.
Let steam for 4-7 minutes depending on how tender you want your broccoli.
Enjoy, no cheese needed!

Half Marathon Training Update ~  

Yesterday's training run was an 8 miler, the wind was insane, but I managed to finish thanks to my wonderful SIL Amanda joining me for the last half.  The wind was brutal, 16 mph, and even when I wasn't running into the wind fighting the cross wind messed with my form, which has left me with a sore knee today.  I have had one major and one minor knee surgery, my meniscus (cartilage) had a bucket handled tear when I was 19, since I was young the surgeon opted to try and sew everything back together with the hopes that the cartilage would heal.  Cartilage is odd stuff, some people have cartilage that heals, I do not.   Three years later when I returned for another surgery the surgeon found nothing had healed and the wholes from the needle he used to sew everything together was still in the cartilage, this time he shaved off the offending cartilage and hoped that would help but warned I would most likely have issues with my knee from time to time.  Amazingly with running I haven't had nearly the problems one would have thought, I can actually run most of the time completely pain free, but I do have issues when trying to increase my mileage too quickly.  Luckily next weekend doesn't call for a long run, it calls for a 5K I was able to find one in Bartlesville, Shamrock the Ville.  The best part?  It doesn't start until 1:00 and their is beer for everyone after!   As a birthday present for my SIL Amanda I signed her up too, I know totally best SIL in the world material here!  :)  I was able to twist my friend Sarah's arm also, so totally fun girl's day!!

What's your plans for the day?

I am planning on doing some laundry and icing the knee.  I am still taking care of a sick kiddo, so nothing too exciting.

Are you currently training for a race?  How is it going?  

I am training for the Oz Half Marathon on April 16, and well it's going LOL.

3 comments:

  1. I make my broccoli the exact same way. Ensures it doesn't get overcooked and mushy.

    I see that you are also a donut fan and that you entered to win the donut pan on Iowa Girl Eats. I am giving away a copy of Lara Ferroni’s Doughnut Book, a donut pan, and an extra wide pastry bag for making French crullers on my blog. Stop by and enter to win. Winner will be announced on March 15. http://bit.ly/e29O8c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your half, I am currently training for one on the 15th of May. What will be your longest run? I am a little concerned about hitting my longer runs over the next month (real busy) so I might have to tone it down to a 10k. My longest run has been a 10 miler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My longest run in going to be 10 miles, I am a little nervous about this, but I know how excited I get in the race atmosphere, so I am sure I will be able to push through!

    Good luck with your half!

    ReplyDelete