Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Power of a Mantra

This morning tried the hip out and went for a run, it was the first run in 17 days, but who's counting?  I did a quick warm up and then headed outside with the goal of 2 miles, the morning was cold and gorgeous, I didn't realize how much I had missed running outside.

Within a couple blocks the running was feeling hard and I starting to feel defeated, thoughts like, I should just go home, I am not a real runner, this is too hard, I should cancel my plans to run next weekend at the TLC groundhog underground run in Kansas City.  I was ready to turn around and head home when I remembered my mantra, I have never used it before while running, but after reading this article at Runner's World I had decided I needed one, I am the Queen of negative thinking when my runs get hard.  Instead of stopping I kept running and repeating, "Be Strong, Feel Brave" and guess what?  It worked, I quick focusing on what was hard, and how running made me feel strong and powerful and I knocked out those 2 miles without any problem.

If I hadn't repeated those words and focused myself I would have missed this.



Do you use a mantra or phrase for when the running gets hard?  What is it?  What does it mean to you?



I chose mine because for me running is about being strong, and stepping outside my comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a mantra although I should get one! Love yours and love the pics you took on your run. Can't wait to see you all Sunday!

    ReplyDelete