Thursday, January 20, 2011

Yummy Tortellini Soup

This week the husband is working the high school basketball tournament keeping the book, it's just me and the children each night for dinner.  Carl says they have an amazing hospitality room for all the workers, so don't worry he isn't going to starve! 

Anyway, as luck would have it, my kids are usually fairly brave eaters, they don't shriek away in horrible if there isn't meat on the table, and anything that includes pasta gets two BIG thumbs up.  Combined with the fact I had to take Colten for a consult with a dental surgeon (he has an extra tooth, I am blaming my husbands side of the family) and Emma had her dance class last night, I needed something fast, easy, and most importantly yummy on the table stat. 

I started with this recipe, but as it was cooking I could tell it could be better, plus I just thought it needed more sustenance, so I added some beans, and I have to say it turned out awesome, and full of protein.  Which is good since I will be eating this for days on end, it made a TON!



Yummy Tortellini Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 bag spinach (I made the mistake of using the frozen that was called for, and while it didn't bother me, my kids did not appreciate the fact that there was really no way to eat around the spinach, so next time I will stick with fresh whole leaf spinach.)

2 large containers chicken broth (or leftover homemade chicken broth)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 can white beans
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
4 oz cooked tortellini

In your pan heat olive oil, then saute onion until tender, add garlic and spinach saute until spinach wilts.  Add chicken stock, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, beans, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. 

Enjoy with some crusty bread sticks, if you are into that kind of thing.

Any weird extra teeth or toes in your family tree? 

As much as Colten LOVES candy I really wish he could keep it for future use, he might need it someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment