Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Leftover Makeover

Earlier this week I grilled boneless pork chops, now if you have been paying attention you know I buy my meat at G&W and usually when it's on sale. So I had picked up a family pack of boneless pork chops awhile ago and had meant to separate them before I froze them, but didn't get around to that, so I just stuck the whole package in the freezer. So when I pulled them out to defrost the other night I knew we were going to have some serious leftovers.

I will confess something right now - I am not a huge fan of leftovers, unless it's in the form of soup, because seriously it's just better the next day. But leftover cooked meat always leaves me wondering what in the heck to do with it besides serve leftovers. Then I remembered a chicken dish I had make a several occasions that was really good and would probably work well with pork chops, so Smothered Pork Chops was born. And actually I think you could even do these without using leftover chops, just brown them a bit first, and I also think it would work with other leftover meats.

Here is where I would insert pictures, but we were in such a hurry to eat so we could head to the Back to School Carnival at the First Assembly of God Church, I kinda forgot to take pictures until after we were done, oops.

Smothered Pork Chops

Leftover pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 16 oz container sour cream, you could use less, I used this much because I needed to use it up
1 package Lipton's dried onion soup mix - although I think next time I would just use 1/2 a package


Combine soup, sour cream, and onion soup mix. Put pork chops in the bottom of crock pot, pour mixture over top, heat on low for 1-2 hours until warm. You could also put in oven to warm, but I didn't want to turn the oven on. You could also use fresh pork chops or chicken breasts, I would brown them first and then cook longer, 6-8 hours on low, or whatever works for your crock pot. This would be one of those perfect meals to assemble the night before and then just put in the crock pot in the morning and come home from work to a nice yummy meal.

Serve over egg noddles, rice, or potatoes. Throw in a veggie and a salad and dinner's done!

**The sodium content on this one is high, so if you are suppose to be watching your sodium intake you probably want to pass on this one, or use low-sodium ingredients, and even then I would imagine it would still be high! It was a little salty for my tastes, but I ate it anyway ;)

After dinner we headed over to the Back to School Carnival, what a wonderful time we had, perfect weather, and great activities! Colten even won a scooter!! Fun fun, thanks to everyone at the First Assembly of God for a fun evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment