Wednesday, August 11, 2010

School's just around the corner

With school starting in less than a week, I have been thinking about breakfast and our morning routine. During the summer I tend to get a little lax about our mornings, since my husband is a teacher that means he is available to take care of the kiddos in the morning, so if they chose to sleep in, I can sit around a bit and enjoy my coffee, and the silence of the house :) But with the start of school comes settling back into our routines. I make a point to sit down and eat breakfast with my kids every morning during the school year, I just think it gets their day off on the right foot. So today I thought I would share some of my favorite go to meal ideas for quick breakfasts, and since I haven't started making them I have no pictures, so use your imagination :)

English Muffin Breakfast Pizzas
These are so simple and a kid favorite, I make up a large batch and freeze them, the best part is you can make them to suit your children's tastes.

All you need is:
2 packages English Muffins, preferably whole wheat ones, although those are harder to find at G&W, sometimes they have them, but usually not
Scrambled eggs, usually around a dozen
Cooked sausage or bacon, or you can go meatless
Cheese - I prefer the Hiland shred your own, but any kind will work

Toast your English Muffins, this keeps them from getting soggy. Top with scrambled eggs, meat of your choice, and cheese. Quick freeze, which means put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put them in the freezer for a couple hours, after frozen then put into zip lock bags. When you are ready to cook, pop them in microwave for 30-60 seconds, top with salsa, or not and enjoy!! My kids LOVE them!

Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
This is the only way I eat my oatmeal anymore, so wonderful.

I will usually make up several baggies of this at once, giving me the ease of the Quaker individual packages, but much tastier and cheaper! Not to mention that fact that I can pronounce all the ingredients!

In each baggie, for one serving put:
1/2 cup quick cook oatmeal, I really love the Organic Quick Cook oats available at G&W
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar, or you can completely omit as the raisins really sweeten without the added sugar
3 Tablespoons raisins, more or less
1/2 ounce of Walnuts, more or less

Peanut Butter and Honey Toast

Pretty self explanatory here, but a kid favorite at my house!

Those are a couple of our favorites, not to mention the vast array of cereals I keep stocked in the pantry, although after learning more and more about the effects of sugar on our bodies, many of those will be getting to boot, in favor of less sugar more protein breakfast items. I am also going to experiment with making some whole wheat waffles in exchange for our Eggo's, and locating some actually maple syrup to top them. Say a prayer for my children, it might be a rough go for them :)

What are your favorite easy weekday breakfasts? Do you eat breakfast everyday? Do you worry about the amount of sugar in kid's cereals, or just figure we survived and so will they?

No comments:

Post a Comment