Monday, October 11, 2010

Crock Pot Turkey



This is one of my absolute favorite dishes to cook. You cannot really call it a recipe, because it is just that simple. Everyone will be amazed to come home after a busy day to Thanksgiving turkey for dinner. It's amazing what a home cooked meal can do for you after a busy day.

Crock pot Turkey
1 whole turkey breast, thawed
Salt and Pepper
1-2 teaspoons dried Rosemary

Put the turkey breast in the crock pot and sprinkle salt, pepper and rosemary on top, sometimes your turkey breast may be so large that your crock pot lid will not seal completely, it's OK, make a little foil tent and then set your lid over top. I used to always have to do this until my amazing sister-in-law and brother bought me a new Kenmore crock pot for Christmas, it's huge, so no more foil tents.

Cooking times vary by crock pot, my old crock pot would cook the breast in 7 hours on low. The new crock pot was on medium for 3 hours, then I turned in up to high for 3 hours, and then back down to low for an hour. The internal temp needs to reach 180 degrees, note the skin doesn't brown the way it does in the oven, so check your temps to make sure you don't over cook your bird. Anytime you are following a crock pot recipe always keep in mind how your crock pot cooks, because in my experience no two cook the same.

Serve with some mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls. Don't worry that you will have too much leftover turkey, I 'll be back in a day or two to share my favorite way to use up your leftovers - turkey pot pit - it's epic.

One last tip - G&W regularly has their frozen turkey breasts on sale usually between $1.29 - $1.49 per pound, so watch the sales ad and get ready to dazzle your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment