Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Turkey Pot Pie


I promised I would be back to share how to use some of those turkey leftovers. This is one of my families favorite meals, I had originally used this recipe and made actual crusts for the pot pie, oh how I wish I had blogged back then, because it was gorgeous, but honestly, it's so much yummier over biscuits!

Turkey Pot Pie
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
3 cups cooked turkey or chicken, cut into small pieces or cubes
1 bag frozen vegetables
1 potato cut and boiled

First cut up and boil your potato, so it's cooked when you are ready for it. Then melt butter over low heat and onions and saute, then add flour, salt, and pepper. Cook this until nice and bubbly. Remove from heat and whisk in chicken broth and milk, return to heat and bring to boil stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat and add turkey, vegetables, and potatoes, cook until vegetables are done, 15-30 minutes.



Now for the biscuits, this is actually the recipe I base my Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter cold
3/4 cup milk cold

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the first 4 ingredients together. Cut in butter with your pastry blender or two knives, if you took Mrs. Evan's 8th grade Home Ec you know how to do this, does anyone else still make Cowboy Coffee Cake?

Once all your butter in cut in then add the milk, stirring gently. After countless batches of biscuits I feel I can say a key secret is to be gentle to your dough, they turn out so much softer if the dough hasn't been overly handled, I don't make this stuff up, promise.


I usually roll/pat my dough into a rectangle and then cut into squares, so that there is no need to roll the dough again.


Yes, I know biscuit making can be art, but I am mostly just going for speed and taste ;)


Sorry Grandma, but at least they aren't from a tube, right??

Now if you really want your biscuits to be round, you can gently shape each biscuit after cutting before putting on your baking sheet, honestly they taste the same and soon they will be covered in turkey pot pie, but I won't judge if you insist on having round biscuits.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. This recipe supposedly serves 5, but I usually double the batch just to be on the safe side, and haven't yet had a biscuit go bad waiting to be eaten.



If square buscuits are wrong, I don't wanna be right. Take out of oven, cover with turkey pot pie and enjoy!

And maybe have one covered in butter and honey as a before bed snack? Mmmm. . .



1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I love pot pie, Ive never made my own though.

    ReplyDelete