Friday, October 29, 2010

Meal Planning

One of the questions people ask me a lot is how do I plan our meals. I have used various ways, but my most successful tool is the meal planner at mealsmatter.org I like it because on the site you can both plan meals and keep your grocery list. I really like that I can access it from any computer in case I think of something I need at work, I just log on and add it.

As to how I actually chose what I am making, it's mostly using the following variables, what sounds good, what's on sale at the grocery store, and how much time will I have to prepare a meal each night.

So with those variables in mind here what will be cooking in my house:
Saturday - Grilled shrimp, baked potatoes, salad, roasted asparagus and squash - obviously I will have quite a bit of time to prep and cook this meal
Sunday - Sloppy joes and corn casserole (recipe will be coming) this will be a quick meal I can make ahead of time so we can enjoy a Halloween party and trick or treating
Monday - Minestrone Soup and bread sticks- my attempt to adapt Meatless Mondays shh, don't tell the Hus
Tuesday - Bierock casserole and whatever veggie the kids pick out, I find my kids will eat their veggies better if they help decide which one we are eating
Wednesday - this is the day the Hus goes to night class, so the kids and I usually just eat leftovers or PB&J's or try and find someone to feed us
Thursday - Black beans and Chicken in the crock pot - one of Dev's favorites
Friday - Shrimp Boil

Now I am not 100% guaranteeing that we will have all these meals on these nights, sometimes things come up, but when I do my grocery list I make sure I have everything to cook these meals, and if I decide to go out of order or change something it's OK, but I know I will be able to make all of these meals without any additional trips to the store during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment