Friday, June 25, 2010

Because I like to do things the hard way. . .

Devin has been begging me to make Taco Ring for awhile, anyone who has ever attended a Pampered Chef party will know what I am talking about, but don't worry if you are in the dark, I will clue you in. Finally when an evening with no baseball games or other planned activities came along I decided I would make it for him (the fact that I had some homegrown tomatoes thanks to the Farmer's Market didn't hurt either) the only problem was I didn't have any crescent rolls, you know the kind in the tube you buy at the store, that is the kind the Pampered Chef recipe calls for? I was too lazy busy to go to the store, so I googled crescent rolls and found a recipe, what did people do before Google?? It must have been like the dark ages for cooking.



Easy Homemade Crescent Rolls
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup water, warm (100-110F)
1/2 cup milk, warm (100-110F)
1 tbsp sugar
2 cups bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, room temperature

Combine yeast, water, milk, and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes until foamy. Mix in flour and salt with mixer dough hook, if you have one, or by hand if you don't. Cut up the softened butter and add, either knead by hand or with dough hook for 2 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm location for 45 minutes.


While you are waiting, you can make your hamburger mixture. Brown hamburger and add taco seasonings, about a pound of hamburger and as much taco seasoning as your family likes. We like ours kind of weak.


Add cheese, Hiland is my personal favorite. I always shred our own because someone once told me that manufactures add chemicals to shredded cheese in order to keep it from sticking together - ewww! Of course said person was selling me a cheese grater from a Pamper Chef party, so who knows, but I am not taking any chances.




Add as much cheese as you like to the hamburger - we like cheese in my family. That's about a 1/3 of the block of cheese.



By now if you are a slow chef like myself then it will have been close to 45 minutes, if not go pet your dog and explain that laying in the middle of the kitchen floor could be hazardous to his (and your) health!



Now turn out dough on lightly floured surface and roll into circle, cut like a pizza and you have your crescent roll dough.


See those cucumbers, fresh from the garden! Want a closer look?



Now lay out your crescent roll triangles on your pizza sheet and don't bother to wipe the flour from your counter, I didn't LOL.




Add the hamburger and cheese filling and tuck the ends of the triangle under itself.




Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.



Serve with lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, basically whatever floats your boat.



Sit back and enjoy the compliments, and if you did make your own crescent rolls try and brag about that a little - my kids were quite impressed, they thought they had to come from a tube! I try to work it into as many conversations as possible, i.e. 'Hi, I'm Miranda, nice to meet you, I can make my own homemade crescent rolls.' Although so far, no one seems that impressed ;)














1 comment: