Monday, November 1, 2010

Chicken and Black Beans

Fall is finally here and I am loving every minute of it. The trees are beautiful and the air is crisp, making me thankful for easy meals that I don't have to spend a lot of prepping/cooking/cleaning up after, so I can spend more time watching my kiddos play in the leaf piles.

This is one of my favorite meals to make and eat, so easy and the simple ingredients really blend together well. And all of my kiddos like it, so that is a definite plus!




Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock Pot

1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast (my personal faves are the Smart Chicken ones, worth the extra $$)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 can drained corn
1 can drained black beans
1 jar salsa

Put chicken in the bottom of your crock pot, sprinkle with cumin and chili powder. Then add your drained cans of corn and beans and top with salsa. The majority of the flavor comes from the salsa, so make sure you use one you love. In my crock pot I cook this for 5-6 hours on low and until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 180. Serve over rice and sprinkle with cheese.

Another variation I have tried, and loved is adding a block of cream cheese the last 30 minutes, creamy goodness, although my kids frowned on the presentation.

Leftovers are wonderful wrapped in a tortilla.
Now to go find a nice warm mug of apple cider and watch the leaves fall.
What is one of your favorite crock pot dinners?






1 comment:

  1. This is one of my faves, too, with the addition of the cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete