Thursday, November 4, 2010

Minestrone Soup

Look what was outside of Doane's furniture today!  How adorable is this?  I literally had to turn around and go back so I would have a picture to show you!  Perfect for the young Jacket fan!!
Did anyone else feel like they were going to blow away today?  This wind is crazy!  

I couldn't wait to share this recipe with you it's perfect for blustery fall days, I had wanted to make minestrone soup for years, I had looked at recipes, read reviews, and tips but somehow just never got around to making it.  But this week, that changed forever.  I will never go without minestrone soup again!  Yes, it was that good.  So good I am sad for all the lost years me and minestrone could have had. . .

I started with this minestrone recipe as my guide.  Can you see now why I have held off making this, the ingredient list alone is huge!!  But then I noticed the steps were quite simple.  So I forged ahead, it helped I had already purchased the zucchini at the farmer's market last week and I didn't want it to go to waste. 

Since my plan was to make this on a weeknight, the first thing I did was chop up all my veggies beforehand, so when I got home from work I just had to dump them into the pot. 


I sauteed the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, pepper, and salt (I didn't use thyme, I was out.)

 Then I noticed I had neglected to add the zucchini, so I quickly chopped that and added it, which I think worked out well as I didn't want it too get too soft and end up with a slimy texture.  Once the veggies were tender I added the vegetable broth, 2 cans of light kidney beans, 2 cans of white beans, 1 can of green beans, 1 can of tomatoes, and 1 can of tomato sauce. 

Simmering for 20 minutes.  While this was simmering, I cooked 1 cup of macaroni, I added it to the soup and continued to simmer for 15-20 more minutes.  (You can cook the pasta in the soup, I just haven't had a lot of luck doing that before, so I didn't, if you decide to make sure you add additional water to the soup.)

This. was. amazing.

Minestrone Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup minced onion
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup carrot chopped
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans red kidney beans - drained
2 cans while beans, I think I used great northern - drained
1 can green beans - drained
1 can tomatoes
1 cup cooked pasta

1.  Heat oil and saute onion, celery,carrots, garlic, and herbs.  After cooking 5 minutes add zucchini cook until soft.
2.  Add broth, tomato sauce, beans, and tomatoes.
3.  Bring soup to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. 
4.  Add cooked pasta
5.  Simmer an additional 20 minutes. 

Enjoy!! 

I think I am going to have to make another batch this weekend, the leftovers are perfect for lunch with a grilled cheese. 

Now I am off to try to catch up on some of my DVRed shows if I can stay awake, this has been a very long week and I am nursing a sore hip so tomorrow morning will be a very boring workout on the elliptical at home. 

What is your favorite soup? 

I have lots of favorites, but right now minestrone is topping the list!

2 comments:

  1. Which half are you looking at in April? I've done a bunch of races around KC, so might have some tips for ya :)

    I am in Miami now, but will be back to visit family soon and I know the cold will really hit me this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Oz Marathon in Olathe on April 16, there are a ton around that time of year in the KC area, but I am a sucker for all things Dorothy so when I saw their website, I knew this was the perfect one to be my first. And yes, any tips would be appreciated. And thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete