Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving Preparation

I have been craving brownies for days, I cannot get them out of my head, so these brownies are in the oven.  I have used several different brownie recipes, but still haven't found the one.  Based on the taste of the batter these might be the winners.  

I have also been trying to decide what to bring to Thanksgiving.  We will have lunch at my mom's and then get in the car and drive 4 hours and have dinner with Carl's family.  It's kind of crazy, but we are used to it, so it's OK and it allows us to celebrate with both of our families.  

For lunch at my mom and dad's I will make Watergate salad, using my Grandma Joyce's recipe, that was the dish she would always make and it just wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving without it.  I also usually make sugar cookies, those are my Grandpa's favorite.  (And honestly I make kick ass sugar cookies - I will try and post the recipe next week, but they are amazing, trust me.)

Carl's family is a little trickier, whatever I bring has to travel well, and should be a dessert, because sometimes they start eating without us if we are late getting on the road, cookies would be perfect, but his sister is the resident cookie maker.  Pies tend to not travel well.  I made pumpkin bars one year and no one would even try them, it was one of my first holidays with his family and I remember feeling quite rejected, I have since figured out they are not nut eaters, so I am thinking maybe brownies, without nuts of course!  Or maybe wine?  Hmm, I might be on to something there, wine travels well, and even if dinner is over it can be enjoyed through the evening, and really who couldn't use a nice glass of wine after a day with the family.  

Right now I am waiting to watch Ree throw down with Bobby Flay.  If you missed it Tuesday they are showing it again tonight.

What are you up to this evening?  

Ran 3 miles with Amanda ~ 3 points
8 servings of fruits and veggies ~ 1 point
4 points total for today :)  

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, can't wait to get your sugar cookie recipe. Like your brownies I've hunted and hunted but haven't found a good one. How were the brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were just OK. I really like frudgy brownies and these were more cake like. I think I need to start trying recipes with semi-sweet chocolate squares, as I think they would be more fudgy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go on the points!! You know your side bar might be to small for the current logo image. If you can size it down, then you just go in to blogger and add an HTML widget to the side bar.

    ReplyDelete