Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fagioli Soup

Just when I got Emma all healed up, I decided to come down with the bug.  In all fairness I have been fighting this for weeks, I just didn't want to bother with the doctor, but with the Turkey Trot just around the corner, I knew it was time to admit defeat and get an expert opinion.  After a quick trip to the doctor's I am feeling much better, and will be good to go on Saturday for the Turkey Trot in Chanute.  I am really excited because there are several of us from Fredonia participating, so it should be a very fun way to kick off the weekend.

Monday's are always super busy at our house, which I think is the norm for everyone, so I always like to take a bit of time on Sunday evening to prep dinner for Monday.  This week I was planning on one of my favorites Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup in a Crock Pot

I just love the colors of chopped veggies. 
Everything mixed up and ready to go in the fridge overnight.
Cooked macaroni added. 
Ready to be devoured. 


Fagioli Soup

1 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained

1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 clove garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes (and juice)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 jar (16.5 oz) pasta sauce
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup cooked pasta

Use a 6 quart or larger crockpot, or cut the recipe in half. This makes a lot. Brown the meat on the stovetop, and drain well. Let it cool a bit. Chop up the carrots, onion, and celery. Add it to the empty crockpot.
Drain and rinse the beans, and add them. Add the whole cans of tomatoes, and the pasta sauce. Add the beef broth. Add the salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir in your meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4. When the vegetables are tender, stir in the 1 cup cooked pasta.

This makes a lot, which is nice for me because I don't have to worry about what to eat for lunch this week :)

Don't foget to enter my drawing, just a few more days to enter.

Is anyone else having a hard time adjusting to the new time?  The evenings seem so long right now, I have been in bed every night by 9:00 pm, I know part of this is due to not feeling good, but geez, I am in for a long winter if this keeps up.   Do you go to bed earlier in the fall/winter than the spring/summer?

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy Miranda, I'll have to try that. I also have to say thanks for sharing MealsMatter, I've been using it since you posted it and really like it. I'm also going to bed earlier, I've been in bed by 9:30 the last 3 nights.

    Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup has me drooling on my computer screen!! WOW! I am actually loving the time change...I love bright mornings!

    ReplyDelete